Main Photo Site and Galleries

Surfers and monster sunset at Arroyo Burro



Taken at 5:14 p.m. on Monday at Arroyo Burro beach in Santa Barbara. Not too shabby, eh? See what it looked like eight minutes later, after the jump....



   

I barely had to process the image, folks. That's what it looked like.

First piece of advice: both photos were taken well after the sun dipped below the horizon, i.e. the time of sunset. Don't ever leave when the sun disappears -- hang around and wait for things to ripen, especially if conditions seem ripe for a good one (interesting clouds, clear skies). 

Both photos were taken with my Nikon D5100. I used my Nikon DX 10-24mm wide angle on the top photo, with the camera set up on a tripod on the edge of the surf. The top photo was shot at ISO 100 for one second at f/25. 

I either was going to get my shot or the camera was going to topple into the sea. On this day, I won. 

Eight minutes later, things really started getting red in the distance and I raced back to our beach blanket and jammed my 70-300mm telephoto back on the camera and took the second shot handheld. I wanted a tighter image of the surfers. 

All in all, an excellent photography weekend in Santa Barbara -- ranging from landscapes to seascapes to some interesting birds, boats and sunsets. I would have been happy just coming home with these white-tailed kite photos; I did even better. I'll post stuff the rest of the week. 

Check out more of my work on my Smugmug site where quality prints are available for good prices; 8 x 12s start at $11. And follow me on Twitter

--S.H.

These photos are ©Steve Hymon and may not be used elsewhere without my advanced written permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment