Main Photo Site and Galleries

Oregon coast near Gold Beach



A nice slice of the southern Oregon coast, just feet away from Highway 101 south of Gold Beach (here's a map). I shot this about 75 minutes before sunset -- the light on the grass in the foreground was brilliant and was hoping to frame the grass against the rocks and the sea. 

In hindsight, I probably should have tried to get a little higher to show more of the green grass behind the yellow grass. I took this photo standing on my knees directly in front of the yellow grass. For better or worse, the wide-angle lens I used made the rocks seem smaller. I fret perhaps there's too much sky in the photo. 

If you're in the area, it's a great place to shoot with a lot of different photo possibilities. 

Camera & Settings: Nikon D5100, Nikon DX 10-24 wide-angle lens at 18mm, shutter speed 1/100th, f/16 and ISO 100. I shot in RAW and processed the photo in Lightroom 4. I didn't do much, although I changed the color of the highlights using the split toning tool. I also muted the blue a bit -- the original photo was showing some slight banding due to the brilliant blue in the sky (I think). 
Here's my SmugMug siteMe on Twitter.
--S.H.

This photo is ©Steve Hymon and may not be used elsewhere without advanced written permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment