Main Photo Site and Galleries

Sunset over Mt. Whitney

The sunset on Dec. 17, 2012, over the Alabama Hills, Lone Pine Peak (left) and Mt. Whitney.
Nice little sunset Monday afternoon over Mt. Whitney and the Alabama Hills -- click above to view larger. The prominent peak in the middle of the shot is Lone Pine Peak; Whitney's peak is on the right side of the frame, to the right of the pinnacles. 

I took this photo from one from the side of U.S. 395, just north of Lone Pine. I used my Nikon D5100 and 35mm 1.8 lens. I gave the photo a healthy crop in Lightroom to get rid of a barb wire fence in the foreground and a tree on the right side of the frame that had a nice shape but blended too much into the background. 

If you're a Sierra or photo buff and the view looks familiar, there's a good reason why: Ansel Adams took one of his well-known images here in 1944 of a winter sunrise throwing great light on Whitney and the Alabama Hills. He removed the "LP" from his print, saying (correctly) it was a blemish on a spectacular landscape. 

Check out more of my work on my SmugMug site and follow me on Twitter.

--S.H.

This photo is ©Steve Hymon and may not be used elsewhere without my advance permission. 

No comments:

Post a Comment